Another Defeat in Airtricity First Division 2012-03-31 21:09:00

Wexford Youths 2-0 Mervue Utd

30th March 2012, Ferrycarrig Park

Mervue Utd's pointless run in the Airtricity First Division continued at Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night as Wexford Youths scored twice in the opening half to secure their third win of the season.

Johnny Glynn's side went into the game with a crippling injury list which saw James Casserly, Alex Lee, Peter Dravins, Noel Varley, Martin Conneely, Michael McSweeney and Alan Murphy all missing, while captain Mike Elwood was also suspended having been sent off against Athlone Town last week.

The home side got off to the perfect start as Tom Elmes set up Dean Broaders on 10 minutes, with the big striker cutting the ball back to the midfielder who made no mistake blasting the ball into the net for 1-0 from the edge of the box.

Pat Hoban came very close to levelling matters on the half hour mark when he rose highest in the box but headed a free-kick just past the far post.

A minute before half time and it got better for the home team as captain Danny Furlong doubled their lead to make it 2-0 at the interval. Goalscorer Broaders provided the pass releasing Furlong who evaded the Mervue back four before finishing past the advancing Ronan Forde.

Mervue did improve in the second period as Philip Keegan replaced Gary Kelly but the performance of referee Andrew Mullally, who awarded over thirty free-kicks, ensured that neither side could maintain any sort of continuity to their play.

The visitors though thought they had been given the chance of  getting back into the game just after the hour mark as they had a big shout for a spot kick. Wexford centre half CJ Browne appeared to bring down the raiding Keegan as he bore down on Graham Doyle's goal but for once the whistle happy man in black did not blow.

Five minutes later and Mervue were reduced to ten men as Stephen Walsh collected a second yellow card following a push on a Wexford player as he became the club's third defender to be sent off in the opening five games as he saw red with 20 minutes remaining.

Mervue continued to press despite the numerical advantage as Doyle maintained a clean sheet with some fine late saves, the pick of them a close range effort to deny Hoban with a smart reflex save. At the other end Forde had to be alert also as he saved at point blank range from Furlong as he pushed the striker's effort away for a corner.

That's now five defeats in the opening five league games and Glynn's side must now look to next week's home game at Fahy's Field with Waterford Utd to secure their first points of the 2012 campaign.


Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle, Brian Nolan, James Dermody, Jamie Carr, CJ Browne: Shane Dempsey, Aiden Keenan, Dean Broaders (Sean Corcoran 91) Shane Nolan (Paul Malone 81): Danny Furlong, Tom Elmes (Craig Wall 68).

Subs not used: Cormac O'Brien (GK), Thomas Croke, Mark Phelan, James Scallon.

Mervue Utd : Ronan Forde, Gary Kelly (Philip Keegan '46), Kenny Farrell, Damien O'Rourke, Stephen Walsh, Jason Molloy, Barry McEntee, Pat Hoban, Mike Collins (Marc Ludden '73), Shane Keogh, Etanda Nkololo.

Subs not used: Patrick Carrick and Conor O'Malley (GK)

Referee : Andrew Mullally.

Attendance: 327  



Featured Videos